Whether it be netball, soccer, swimming, gymnastics… all sports are being watched by most people. Over time this industry has become a lucrative one – motivating both individuals as well as sports teams to consistently look for an “edge” to keep them at the top of their game. What if the edge that everyone is searching for is genetics?
Genetics offer further insight into the concept of individualization. This concept states that the training an athlete receives should be individually tailored to meet their age, gender, previous skill development, rate of progress, chosen sport and now their genetics.
Genetics can help us to provide an in-depth level of insight into an athlete’s:
- Response to certain training stimuli
- Muscle profile
- Injury risk
- Recovery rate
- Nutrition requirements post-exercise
By uncovering an athlete’s genetic profile, a sport scientist will be able to make numerous tweaks and changes to their current training plan. This level of individualization helps to ensure that athletes reach their peak performance levels faster and maintain this for longer.
Let’s look at a few specifics on how genetics can give you that extra edge that you have been looking for:
- Determining an athlete’s response to power and endurance training
- This information can be used to adjust an athletes training load, repetitions, sets and overall structure of their training plan. Changing these elements to reflect an athlete’s genetically dominant training style can assist athletes with optimal training progression.
- Determining an athlete’s injury risk
- An injury can significantly disrupt any athlete’s training and competitive season. Understanding an athlete’s unique injury risk can help sport scientists to implement more specific injury prevention measure.
This is all just the very tip of the iceberg of what your genetics can tell you. To find out what else your genetics can tell you, make the better choice and choose FitwellgxTM+ to give yourself that extra edge today!